Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fruit/Veg Challenge Days 32-36: Grapes, Apples, Collard Greens, and Walla Walla Sweet Onions

The challenge lives on through days of road travel and a short retreat in Walla Walla, Washington.

As I drove across the United States in a moving van, the options to stop and seek out less common fruits and vegetables was slim, but that's not a problem because we had more common options on hand and I still managed a healthy supply of fruits on the road. So I claim grapes and apples from the two full travel days.

I'm currently staying two nights with a friend from Walla Walla University and his family. His mother prepared a wonderful soup last night and my thoughts focused in on the green vegetable inside. I'd been wondering when I could squeeze collard greens into my schedule and there they were. Collard greens: check!

Today I have a small dilemma. I claimed white onions in the challenge but now I'm in Walla Walla, home of the Walla Walla Sweet Onion. While it's not the only fruit or vegetable I had today, as someone who spent three years of my life living and studying here, I feel obligated to honor this prized treat. Walla Walla onions are special, and as the one in charge of my own personal challenge, I'll allow it.

No comments:

Post a Comment