Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Raw Vegan Day 1

Started a new challenge today, not out of concern for my health but because I lost a gentlemen's bet. The 49ers lost the game. I lost the game. I lost my bet. If the 49ers had just won the Super Bowl, my friend Jared would have given up red meat for a week. If they had won by the spread, he would have gone vegetarian. I didn't think vegetarian was enough of a big deal for me, so I wagered raw vegan as a fair counter to what giving up meat would mean for my friend.

A big surprise that I got was not only that some friends were willing to help me out by letting me use their juicer, but that they are preparing the juice for me (and with me when I can help). Three friends are also joining in on the endeavor (Maka, Moana, and George).

I was going to start yesterday but remembered we had our winter party at work last night and I didn't think it would be appropriate to skip out on haystacks that my bosses had so lovingly prepared (nor on that pumpkin cake my boss made, nor on the cheesecake that the store made).

Start time is 10pm on February 19th.

This morning I went to Shemmie's and skipped my standard order of oatmeal and raisins in favor of a salad with no cheese. I set the onions aside, and enjoyed my breakfast of iceberg lettuce, tomato slices, green bell pepper, and fresh squeezed lemon juice to flavor.

Also at my disposal are two 2-liter bottles of juice.

Bottle 1:
Orange/Strawberry/Tropical Fruit/Banana blend with a hint of ginger.

Bottle 2:
Red leaf lettuce/red bell pepper/tomato/celery/apple blend with lemon/ginger/cayenne powder accents.

Both bottles also have chopped flax seed, and I may have forgotten an ingredient or two, but if I did it was a raw vegan ingredient.

Bottle 1 has an incredible flavor, and let's just say bottle 2 is somewhat palatable.

No comments:

Post a Comment