Wednesday, July 20, 2011

62 Day Challenge Days 17-20: Ugli Fruit, Avocado, Carrot, Blackberry

So I finally got my Ugli* fruit back on Sunday and it was still edible. With 12 hours at work the timing could not have been better. I took a little break and scarfed it down. The fruit is a Jamaican hybrid between a grapefruit, an orange, and a tangerine. It's like one side of the fruit takes on the size of the grapefruit and the other side takes on the size of the orange, and it comes out distorted and ugly. The inside is like eating a seedless orange, but the fruit is very sweet. To me this one reminded me of the flavor of a peach or an apricot.

*Ugli fruit is a trademark of Cabel Hall Citrus Limited

I'm claiming avocado in its traditional southwestern form: guacamole. This was one of the ingredients in our haystacks on Monday night at our work summer party.

Yesterday I had carrots in an excellent vegan carrot raisin salad. I loved it because instead of adding sugar and whatever dairy is traditionally used, this salad had three simple ingredients, carrots, raisins, and pineapples. The pineapple added enough sweetness to it without adding a lot of junk. The only downside was that it was a little watery from the pineapple.

Today I had blackberries for the third or fourth time since the summer began. My love for blackberries goes back to when I spent a summer in Oregon as an adolescent and they were growing everywhere at the farm we stayed at. From what I remember, they were a lot cheaper then!

No comments:

Post a Comment