Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 16 of 62: My Fruit/Veg of the Day is Artichoke

This artichoke was huge and just looking at it in the produce section was making my mouth water. I don't really remember eating a boiled artichoke in at least 10 years and possibly not since the early 90s when I was a teenager. Sure, I've chewed up plenty of artichoke hearts since then but this time I wanted to cook the whole thing. After church today my wife and I finally got around to boiling this monstrous artichoke in our biggest pot and we sat down together with the goal of finishing it together. While it looked like a monumental task, and my memories of artichoke eating involved spending long nights at the kitchen table slowly eating one scrape at a time, it seemed to go fast with the two of us scraping away and before we knew it we were ripping out the heart of the poor artichoke.

A common theme lately has been antioxidants, and among vegetables artichokes are #1 (but some fruits are better). One site credits artichokes with being able to regenerate liver tissue and slow the spread of cancer. Other listed benefits are common to most vegetables because the fiber content in vegetables helps with digestive health.

No comments:

Post a Comment